Tuesday, November 4, 2008

No Time - 853-1212

There was a time when you could dial 853-1212 and you were told the time of day or night. But not anymore. Now if you're at a lost for time, you cannot easily pick up the phone and get the time you need. It's gone. This service is now obsolete.

Does anyone remember dialing that number and getting the time of day? Apparently, last October AT&T remove that service. I'm sure the operator who held that job back in the day was let go years before and replaced by an computer generated voice operator. Now, the computer voice operator has been replaced with Nothing. How sad.

I wonder if she was sad.




3 comments:

Kathleen Coy said...

I remember when I was a kid we could call a local number (I think it was run by our bank)and it would tell the time and temperature. Boy, that takes me back...

gtyyup said...

That does bring back memories!! It was a thrill as a very lil' kid to dial the phone.

I remember the first time I called the "Time" number (it was just a 3 digit number for us). I dialed it with the old rotary phone hanging from the wall...listened to the time and proceeded to say "Thank you" and hung up.

Mom laughing told me that I didn't need to say that, because it wasn't a real person...OH???...learning new things every day! I was probably only 6 years old.

C-ingspots said...

I agree - seems like no matter where you go or call, less human and more machine. It is sad...human interaction is kind of important and machines can't replace us or do half as good a job - darn it!!

How long can such beauty last when it is just  barely hanging from a vine?